Nido & Bambini
Learn about Montessori in our free guide
This is a small nurturing environment catering for the youngest members of our community. In both our Nido and Bambini rooms our pedagogy is very much guided by both the principles of Montessori as well as Magda Gerber’s Educaring approach and model of care.
“We not only respect babies, we demonstrate our respect every time we interact with them. Respecting a child means treating even the youngest infant as a unique human being, not as an object.” Magda Gerber
Our educators are guided by the following principles:
- Basic trust in the child to be an initiator, an explorer, and a self-learner
- An environment for each child that is physically safe, cognitively challenging and emotionally nurturing
- Time for uninterrupted play
- Freedom to explore and interact with other infants
- Involvement of the child in all care activities to allow the child to become an active participant rather than a passive recipient.
- Sensitive observation of each child in order to understand their needs
- Consistency, clearly defined limits and expectations to develop positive self-discipline
In both these age groups the routine is the curriculum and the curriculum is the routine. Daily routines such as feeding and nappy changing are opportunities for meaningful learning and development.
There is no set nappy change, feeding or sleeping time in our under three environments – we are very much guided by each child’s own routine which is then incorporated into our daily rhythm.
The environment is carefully prepared with materials and resources from the Montessori Curriculum which encourages movement, coordination, repletion, communication, sensory awareness and ongoing independence.
The Nido and Bambini programs provide the first steps of your child’s journey and allows an easy transition into our Montessori Preschool Program.